Sunday, January 30, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

This weekend, I was excited to do a whole lot of . . . not much. The past few weekends have been really fun, but I was looking forward to spending my Saturday at home instead of on the road or in a gym. Of course, because we have been quite busy lately, I had a lot of boring mom-chores that had to be done. Mixed in with all the laundry, vacuuming and cleaning, I wanted to throw in a little something that would be fun to do with the girls. Because my girls are all different ages, this isn't always easy. But as luck would have it, I just happened to have a cake mix laying around AND a tub of chocolate frosting (this never happens). I'm not really a baker-type-mom (I'm sure you already figured this out because a baker-mom would never lower herself to cake mix and frosting from a tub) . . . mostly because 1). I don't like cleaning up after baking with three girls and 2). I don't like having a butt-load of baked goods laying around my counter tempting my almost non-existent will power. But cupcakes are small, right? And fun to decorate - - and as an unexpected bonus, I just happened to find some Valentine's Day sprinkles in the cupboard ( . . . come to think of it . . . they have to be at least a year old!! But they were still sealed . . . so I'm sure they are fine . . .)!

Just a few ingredients needed . . . 3 eggs.



Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket

1/3 cup oil.




Photobucket




1 1/3 cup water and viola! Time to beat this batter!

Photobucket
look at that little smile . . . she thinks her big sister is the coolest!


Photobucket


While Jocie is taking care of the beating, Ella takes on the job of putting in the baking cups.


Photobucket

As you can see in the background, this did not fair well with Claire, so they job-shared.



Photobucket



Once the cupcakes were in the oven, we didn't have much to do for the next 20-25 minutes. So Ella dazzled us with some dance moves.


Photobucket




Then I blew Jocie's mind when I hopped in with Ella and started to preform the ever-popular Running Man. She was so impressed, that she just had to learn it for herself (or I made her get up and do it with me). Let's just say that Jocie will be the talk of the next Monticello Middle School dance!!

The best part was yet to come. What's better than chocolate frosting and (year old) Valentine's Day sprinkles? Not much.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket






Photobucket




Photobucket


Photobucket


Hope your weekend was as work-play balanced as mine! :)



Photobucket

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ella looks so happy about being the paper-liner-person! Love the photos- man those girls are getting so BIG!...sheesh, time to have another. :)

Anne said...

YOU have another.

Kristine said...

ADORABLE!! I love, love, love the picture of Jocie and Claire - so cute!!

Unknown said...

What a fun post. I especially LOVE your baking ballerina : ) How cute is she? I also adore your cupcake holder. So pretty! Glad you made your weekend spectacular!

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)