Sunday, March 20, 2011

return

Today we did something that has been long overdue. It's actually almost shameful that it has been so long. This activity was a major part of my up bringing, and I haven't been very good about sharing it with my kids.


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


The rink in Monticello has open ice almost every Sunday from 12:00 - 2:00 (see - - shameful). So, after church and lunch at Applebees, we headed directly over with our skates in hand. This would be Claire's first time "skating" and Ella's second or thrid.

Photobucket




Of course Claire wasn't able to do any real skating, but she loved gliding while Carl did the skating.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Ella had mentioned a few times how she wanted to learn how to skate. She was pretty tentative when I first started skating with her. But as our "lesson" went on, she grew more and more confident until she was skating without my help! I was so impressed with the way she was skating - - pushing back and to the side while keeping her knees bent (most of the time) and her back straight. A few more days at the rink and she will be learning bubbles and cross-overs!

Photobucket



Photobucket




Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



Skating is just like riding a bike. You never forget. You never forget the feeling of the ice. You never forget the "push and glide" motion. You never forget the placement of your arms, and the graceful way you were taught to hold your hands. I even remembered specific footwork from old routines. It took me back, and it felt good.

Ella was pretty excited about skating when we left the rink. She didn't like the feeling of cold and soar feet, but I hope she will help me remember to get to the rink more often!



Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does Carl want to become one of our partners? I love the photos! :) You have great form in the photos too...haha...

Anne said...

actually, most of the action shots were taken by Jocie . . . maybe we can have a second generation :)

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)