Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall-tastic

I am not a perfect mother (obviously). One of my imperfections is the amount I bake for my family. My baking sessions are few and far in between. We do Christmas cookies, and sometimes, those aren't even from scratch (parish the thought!!). On most Sundays, I make cinnamon rolls before church, but those pop out of a canister, so I don't know if I can count those either. Most of the cookies I bake are made from pre-made dough that I shamelessly buy from the grocery store. But sometimes, I do get a wild hair and decide I am going to bake with my girls. And since it is fall, I thought I would make one of my favorite desserts in the whole world (do I detect a selfish motive...?) Apple Crisp. And since I was feeling really good about my "wholesome" decision, I decided to make a double batch . . .from scratch!

I started by tying on my too-cute-not-bake-all-the-time apron that I got for my birthday (thanks, Nicole!)




Then I peeled and sliced 8 Granny Smith apples



While I started mixing the ingredients for the topping, Jocie mixed the brown sugar into the apple slices.


Once we got everything mixed together, in just a short 50 minutes later we had gooey yet crunchy, sweet yet tart, apple crisp goodness!


(I am unhappy to announce that this huge portion of apple crisp is already gone - largely due to my lack of willpower. Yesterday, I had giant slabs during mid-morning, mid-afternoon and late-night feedings. It also didn't help that the last two helpings were a-la-mode. I could honestly feel my ass jiggling when I finally walked away from the pan.)
After all that baking, we decided to head outside to help Carl and Ella rake up some leaves. After Carl made a few swipes with the "yard sweeper" we got this . . . Mount Leaf-a-lotis!


Photobucket

Of course with a pile of this magnitude, came a jumping show that I had front row seats for.
the free fall

Photobucket
the run in

Photobucket
the super-hero

Photobucket
the cannon ball

Photobucket
The meditation jump

Photobucket
Claire didn't think much of the leaves, but she sure had fun watching her sisters!


Photobucket

Photobucket
1-2-3-4 I declare a leaf war, let's fight!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Uh, oh . . . I think they are turning on me!

Photobucket


Photobucket

Seriously, how can this season not be a favorite! The fun just kept coming when we headed off to the 101 Market. This place just looks like a big green house from the outside, but on the inside it holds a HUGE corn pit, an exotic petting zoo (they even had a kangaroo!), tons of Fall decor, a go-cart race track, a corn maze, and the most pumpkins in the most varieties I have ever seen! We had a great time with all the activities and left the market with our hand-picked pumpkins.
I had such a great time baking on Saturday with Jocie, that I decided to bake some Pumpkin Bread with the little girls on Sunday. I must admit - I did not make the bread from scratch. I was gifted a cute little Pumpkin Bread Mix from Grandma Judy a few weeks back, so I bought a can of Pumpkin (Martha Stuart would be so unimpressed) and mixed everything together.





The recipe was supposed to yield two loaves of bread, but because I don't have two bread pans (probably due to lack of need) I made a dozen pumpkin muffins too.


If I had to write out a recipe for this past weekend, it would go a little something like this:
8 delicious apples
3 adorable girls
1 yard sweeping husband
3 cups of laughter
2 cups of sugar
2 much eating
1 pit of corn
Pumpkins - real and canned
Mix all ingredients together with all the LOVE you can find. Place in an 80 degree oven for two days.
Yield - a Fall-tastic weekend

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know the market on 101 had all that stuff!....man, we need to start going there, we've been missing out big time. Love the photos- especially all the different jumps into the leaves! Looks like you had a fabulous weekend you little domestic-diva. (Oh, and thanks for wearing something under that apron!) ;)

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)