Thursday, September 16, 2010

thirty-isms

A little over a year ago, I turned thirty. I didn't mind starting the new decade of my life. I didn't feel self-conscious about it, nor did it make me feel "old". But as I travel further into this decade, I have noticed a few things . . . things that confuse me a little. Here is a sneak-peek into my 30ish-year-old brain.

Why is it that my complexion thinks it's 15, but my eye-wrinkles, breasts and butt beg to differ?
*
Why is it so hard to find clothes that are not too high-school-ish, but aren't too old-maid-ish?
*
I have figured out that you can be at a stage in your life where you are no longer young, but your not quite old yet.
*
I have figured out that it is nearly impossible to be a good mother, a good wife and a good friend all at the same time.
*
I am trying really hard to be the mother I've always wanted to be (you know, the cool and understanding mom), but am starting to realize that I am a lame mom who worries too much about healthy food and good sleep.

I am starting to understand that being 30 isn't so easy. When I was in college, I just wanted to graduate. When I graduated I just wanted a job. After having a job for a while, you start wanting something better . . . better hours, better office, better pay, etc. Now, we are trying to raise a young family and have fun while we still can because lord knows there will be a day where we are "old"!

What's a person in their 30's to do? I think I am going to try to stay "young-ish" as long as I possibly can! Any one else have any suggestions?

3 comments:

Nancy Blackmun said...

As your mother, I DO have one (yes, just ONE) suggestion for you, honey! Don't look backward or forward, just take in where you are right now and enjoy the simple fact that you're a wonderful teacher, mother, wife,friend, AND daughter! Don't try too hard at being perfect because no one can be, after all... just do the best you can --your family, friends and this world are much better off because you're here. Love, Mom

Anne said...

Wow, Mom . . . I was looking for something like "drink more" . . . but your answer is much better and way deeper than I intended :)
Thanks Mom! :)

Nancy Blackmun said...

WOW...just re-read my comment, and you're right, Annie, it was deeper than I intended . . . guess I shouldn't be drinking a glass of wine and watching "beaches" next time I read your blog! LOL ...(I AM kidding about the wine and movie-was just thinking maybe you were down about your age...believe me, it could be worse...you could be 59 like me!) Love, Mom

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)