Monday, September 6, 2010

BFF

Yesterday we packed up the family-truckster and headed down to North Field to visit my best friend, Christy Holt and her family. Christy and I have been friends since the 4th grade. We have been friends through almost every stage of life; elementary school, weird middle school stage, fun high school stage, even more fun college stage, we're getting married stage, and the baby stage. She has been there for me through my parent's divorce, past heartaches, when I got pregnant with Jocie at 19, moving away from home for the first time, wanting to be a stay-at-home mom but having to go back to work, . . . pretty much everything that has happened to me during the last 20-some years of my life. I can talk to Christy about anything I am feeling, no matter how raw the emotion, and know that she won't look at me any different, because she knows me inside and out, upside down and backwards. I love her dearly, and look forward to our friendship as we head into our 30-something-trying-to-raise-a-family-without-losing-our-self-phase. Stick by your phone, Christy :)

It was great to be able to hang out yesterday. We sipped cocktails while we watched our kids play together. Jocie and Noah played Rock Star on the Wii while Avery and Ella played dress up (and giggled non-stop).

After an amazing dinner, we decided to head into North Field to feed the ducks and walk around downtown.

"Claire, what does the duck say?"
"duck, duck, duck"


Jocie with Noah and Avery

These two giggle-bots were inseparable and had an awesome time together.

Just look at that smile!













Claire and Eli


The 4 big kids

After we fed the ducks their fill, we headed over the the adorable downtown streets. This town had "me" written all over it! It had gift shops, boutiques, art and photo galleries, wine bars and coffee houses. I can't wait until Christy and I can go there again, kid-free, and really enjoy everything it has to offer.








This town's claim-to-fame, is that Jesse James robbed a bank here and was actually shot!












This little bar called Froggy Bottoms (one of North Field's many cute downtown bars) sits right on the river and actually has little hotel rooms above it (genius). My sister-in-law, Beth, went to College in this town at St. Olaf. She went to school with one of the owners of this place, so I was really excited to see it. Unfortunately, it is closed on Sundays so I couldn't go inside, but I am looking forward to my next visit, where I will enjoy a beer on this deck!

We all had a fantastic time together, and can't wait to get together again! Maybe Christy and I will revert back to our 15-year-old selves and go for a Rollerblade while we sing/rap Salt-N-Pepa songs.

Good times, good times.

1 comment:

Christy H said...

Awe! We are completely blessed to have such an amazing-timeless friendship. When we drove away from you all Avery said "Mom, are they our cousins?" I smiled and said "Pretty much honey , we love them just like it ."

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)