Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Lake

As some of you know, Carl and I share the same birthday. To celebrate the beginning of our 31st and 33rd years, we headed out to Maple Lake to hang out with family. I love the Lake. I wish I could live at the Lake. I hope to (some day . . . not soon, but some day) have a cabin in which we could go regularly to relax, rejuvenate, and have some fun!





We arrived at the Lake around 6:30 on Friday evening. After a very loooooong car ride with the fam - we all piled on the pontoon to for a relaxing little cruise before dinner.


Denny and Mom





As the sun went down, we headed back to the cabin for a meal and some cocktails. Did I mention that I love the Lake? I love the quiet mornings, (usually) sunny and warm afternoons, followed by clear and calm evenings. Ahhhhh, it's delicious.







Saturday, the weather wasn't cooperating. It was cool, cloudy and a little rainy. But we didn't care, because it allowed us to lounge around and just enjoy each other.



The Anderson family came to visit us on Saturday night. I was very happy to see them again, and to meet their littlest man, Reed, who was born in March.





My girlfriend Mandy is Super Woman . . . 3 boys under the age of 4, and she hasn't been committed yet. She is a wonder.







Her little "Reader" captured my heart the minute I met him. He is the perfect addition to their lovely little brood. I can't wait to see how they all grow together as a family.






Sunday was beautiful. Isn't that always how it works out? The day you leave is the best day of all! After we sipped our morning coffee and Claire and I came home from our first stroll of the day, we all boarded the boat for a sun-soaked pontoon ride.


I don't know how Denny does it. The poor man sat in the captains chair on the boat for about 25 minutes while all of the rest of us (all women, except for Carl) ran around trying to get everything put together for the trip. Denny patiently waited for us to get all of our stuff onto the boat. I swear, every time we go for a ride during the day, we feel the need to pack everything but the kitchen sink! Maybe Denny can handle it because he has 4 daughters of his own. Whatever the case . . . he is a patient man.








My sister, Ali looking fabulous in her sun hat.


While cruising around the lake, I always find myself looking around at the cabins we pass by. I always try to picture myself in the cabins I see, and wonder if I could see myself in them. I have come to the conclusion that I would take pretty much any cabin I can get! Maybe this one . . .

. . .love the red and cute buttery shutters. Yep, I would take it.




Maybe this one. I have always been a sucker for A frames. Another winner!



Of course, one of the biggest reasons why I love the lake is because it's a blast watching the kids have a ton of fun! The boating, the swimming, the jet skiing and tubing. The fun never ends!


Ella found a friend at the Lake! Her name is Gracie and she lives down the street from "Nanny". Her family is from Grand Forks, but has decided to move to the Lake full-time . . . if I didn't like this family as much as I do . . . I would hate them :)



(Ella gives Gracie bunny ears while Gracie gives Ella . . . a horn)









After the pontoon ride, my dad and step-mom Barb as well as Carl's parents met us for our birthday BBQ. Denny and mom out did themselves (yet again) and prepared steaks and shrimp along with many other yummy side fixins. To top it all off, my mom made one of her famous Big Birthday Cupcakes for Carl and I. It looked so good, the girls had to test the frosting before dinner.










When you go on vacation with 3 children, at some point, things get chaotic. And let me tell you, the chaos which we experienced in the car was FAR from "beautiful chaos". But as I look back at the fun we had on the pontoon, in the cabin, around the campfire, at our birthday BBQ, it was a fantastic weekend, and a wonderful birthday! Here's wishing for many more to come!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Shit You're TAN!!!!!!!

Nancy Blackmun said...

Hi Honey: Again, you've posted another great entry to your blog-I always enjoy reading them. Had so much fun . . . just wish you could come to the lake more often . . . Love, Mom

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)