Friday, June 4, 2010

When one door closes . . .

Although today is my "real" last day of school, yesterday was the last day of school with students which has way more significance than the last day of school for teachers. The last day of school has many different emotions connected to it. Excitement and happiness are the emotions felt most, but there is also some sadness and anxiety attached to it as well.

This was a special year. This was the year that my Jocie was a 5th Grader - the Queen of the school. She was loved by all her teachers, friends and administrators. She was involved in almost everything a student can be involved in. She was a School Patrol member, wrote for the school news paper, a Peer Mediator, on the 5th grade Girls Basketball traveling team, a member of the Swim Club, won an essay contest when she wrote about her great-grandfather, was awarded the "Iron Woman" award in Physical Education class, was invited to attend a writing conference for future authors . . . what can I say, I couldn't be more proud of her!

To celebrate her last day of school, we stopped at Caribou Coffee for a little morning treat.

Jocie is excited to move onto the Middle School next year, but she was also a little sad to be leaving Pinewood. Being a teacher at her school, all my colleagues really got to know her and looked out for her. She had many 2nd mothers around making sure all was well in Jocie's school life. I'm sure she will miss that, but I think I might miss that more . . . although, I must say I have already lined up a few "spies" at the Middle School, so she should be covered :)

Fifth graders at Pinewood get to be apart of a special ceremony on the last day of school. At the end of the day, the students get to dismiss the entire school by ringing the historic Pinewood School Bell.



All the 5th graders line up with their buddies with anticipation to ring that sacred bell. They know that with that final tug on the rope, they will hear the sweet chimes of the bell and know they have graduated from Pinewood and are ready to step forth to bigger and (hopefully) better things.


Jocie paired up with her new bestie, Amanda. These two are like sisters and have grown to love each other. She is a wonderful friend to Jocie and I hope they continue to be friends for many years to come.









After the bell has been rung by the graduating class, the buses are loaded and get ready to head off to summer-time. When the buses are packed and ready to roll and before the first bus pulls off, all the drivers honk their horns while cheers are heard.

All the teachers are lined up with tears in their eyes, as they watch their kids of 9 months pull away.

My favorite part of the year is seeing all the kids on the buses pile to one side to wave goodbye to their beloved teachers. True, some kids (and teachers) might be thinking "good riddins" as they wave, but most of it is sincere and loving.




One might hear the screams of "Have a good summer", or "I'll miss you". Seeing this simple act of saying goodbye always makes me feel like I have made a difference in these kids' lives, and I know that all the work I have put into the school year has been worth it.











I have often heard the saying, "When one door closes, another one opens". Whether I am ready for it or not, the Pinewood doors have closed behind Jocie. I will miss being where she is every day. I will miss our mornings together in the car and in my office. I will miss her smiling face coming into my door at 3:40. I will miss hearing about her day on the way to daycare. And mostly, I will miss HER. I feel that Jocie is not only taking a step towards Middle School, but is also taking one little step away from me. She will be more independent, more self sufficient, more grown up. But the door that is opening for her is one that holds exciting things behind it. I need to remember that even though she will be a little taller, a little older, a little smarter, that I am still her mother, and she will ALWAYS need one of those!


Next year will also be a special year. It will be the year that my little Ella starts Kindergarten at Pinewood. I can't wait to share some of the same memories I have with Jocie, with Ella. I can't wait to watch her walk through the school doors on her first day. It will be awesome to give her a good luck kiss and tell her "I Love You" before she struts in that door to start off her educational journey.


So I guess that saying is true, "When one door closes, another one opens".

2 comments:

amie giersdorf said...

OMG, I don't know if it's still hormones that rage through me every now and then or if Drew has made me a 'softie' (in more ways than one!) but I just shed a tear reading about Jocie!! She's so grown up!! You and Carl should be so proud of the beautiful young lady you have raised!! Keep up the good work! We miss you guys!!

Anne said...

We miss you too, Dorfs!!! Is there anyway you and Drew can come when Justin comes in July? We would LOVE to have you all!!

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)