Thursday, April 19, 2012

BIG mama

WARNING: this is going to be a traditional, "I am big and pregnant" post.

Yes, I understand that I am pregnant, and growing a person inside me. And yes, this is the 4th time I have been through this . . . but I swear, I seem to forget the "huge" feelings in between all of my (many) pregnancies. This pregnancy has obviously been the most challenging - with all of the of feelings of anxiety and worry mixed in with all of the good and exciting feelings. So, in order to get out of the gloom-and-doom stage, I figured I would share some funny stories about my "bigness".

1. A few weeks ago, I was sitting on my favorite beach chair in our backyard as Claire was playing in her playhouse. My enjoyment of the beautiful afternoon was soon interrupted by the noise of ripping. Yes . . . in just a few seconds, my a$$ was on ground, because my beloved chair could no longer support my growing frame! Maybe the funniest part was that I didn't get up for a few minutes. I just sat there . . . . in disbelief that this had actually happened. I had in fact, broken a chair . . . and I was only 19 weeks! I looked up to the heavens and said, "Really? I could have done without that today!"

2. I was laying in bed one night, when I came to the awful realization that the time had come. I had been avoiding it for a couple of weeks, but I just couldn't stand the uncomfortable feeling anymore . . . it was time to buy bigger underwear. A few days later, I unfolded my new pair of unmentionables and was in awe of it's sheer mass. Could these actually fit? And the answer, my friends, was yes :( I am sure by my third trimester, I will be able to fly my underwear on the flagpole at the local Perkins.

3. Almost every day Ella tells me how "HUGE" my tummy is getting. I don't mind it in the least. "There's a human being in there", I tell myself. But Clarie, on the other hand, tells me almost everyday how big my butt is . . . I'm not kidding. Perceptive little bugger, she is.

4. This one's not so funny, but share-able nonetheless. Almost every night, Carl scoops himself up a big bowl of ice cream and proceeds to eat it (sometimes with a side of cake) right in front of me. There has been a night or two when I join him and have a bowl . . . however, I can count how many times I have done this on one hand. But Carl refuses to gain any weight from it. In fact, he seems to be losing a few pounds! How is this possible?? It's just not fair.

I have wonderful friends telling me, "I don't know what you're talking about. You look great!", and I am very thankful for those lies. But the fact of the matter is, I am pregnant with my 4th child, I have been on modified bed rest since 11 weeks, and I am hungry all the time. With my extensive studies in Human Kinetics, Biomechanics, Exercise Science and Health & Nutrition, I understand what is happening:

Pregnancy eating + a lot of sitting/laying around = BIG mama

It's not me (specifically), it's simply science. I am just going to have to get over it.

Stay tuned. I am still in my second trimester. The stories are bound to get better.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not just saying this because I am your friend. YOU LOOK AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. YOU HAVE A LITTLE BUMP OF A BELLY, AND THAT IS IT! YOU ALWAYS LOOK FABULOUS WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT...THAT MY DEAR, IS NOT FAIR!! :) xoxo

Anne said...

yes, I may in fact have a little bump of a belly (remember only 2nd trimester), but I am getting a huge hump of an ass. But I love you for being so nice :)

Anonymous said...

I will have to drive by Perkins when you hoist your panties up on the flag pole~lol!!

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)