Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Up North

Ever since moving to Monticello over 5 years ago, there has been many times where I have been dished a little flack for being from northwestern MN. I have been (jokingly) referred to as "inbred" or a "hick-from-the-sticks". I have also been asked if Carl is first or second cousin and asked if I met him at a family reunion -- these are my favorite :). Truth be told, I am very proud of my home town (East Side! Whoot Whoot!), as is Carl (Argyle), and don't mind the playful criticism.

Last weekend we were able to get up to Argyle to spend the weekend. We had a great time! We started our festivities with the "Hanna Montana Movie" at a drive-in movie theater! Carl and I packed Ella and Jocie into a single-cab Dodge pick-up (so no one has to sit in the back and have a second-rate view). We even had fun driving the 10 miles to the theater all in the front seat (I know you are a "mandatory reporter"Nicole...but I promise this is legal in Argyle...they have there own rules :)).

Carl, Ella and Jocie in the pick-up awaiting the movie



The Drive-In Screen



We ordered a huge popcorn with TONS of yummy butter and also enjoyed slushies and candy. The movie experience was great, and I'm sure our kids will remember this experience when they are old and grey.


Claire also had fun "Up Nort". Grandma gave her a tubby in the kitchen sink. She smiled and cooed the whole time!







A bridal shower was thrown in Keith's fiance, Katie's honor on Saturday morning. The entire town was invited...not kidding. The invitation was posted in the paper! I LOVE this idea. Family and friends are all welcome to come and meet the bride, and welcome her into this tight little community :) I remember my Argyle shower, and was so impressed (and humbled) with all of the ladies that showed up. I don't have a picture from this shower, but here is a picture of Katie with her soon-to-be sister-on-laws on her bachelorette night.


from left to right: Katie Adolphson (AKA-Darin's Katie), Dana Adolphson, Katie Burton (soon to Katie Adolphson AKA-Keith's Katie), and me



We were then onto the "Kuznia Christmas". Yes, we know it is August, but Christmas time is so busy, the family decided to move the gathering to the summer-time (genius). Some might have called this a "Family Reunion", but I don't think there were any hook-ups (HAHAHA!)



After the party, we all headed to church, where two of carl's cousins were the alter-servers, Carl's Aunt Diane was the organ player, and Carl's aunt Jill was the Eucharistic minister! Talk about one family being invested in the church!



Needless to say, we had a wonderful weekend in what Carl refers to as "God's Country". It is a great part of Minnesota where family and community is most important... and 9-Man football is a close second :)


Ella, Great-Grandma Natalie, Claire Natalie, and Jocie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne,

For the record...You are also a "mandatroy reporter."

:)

Nancy Blackmun said...

Hi Honey: Loved the pictures of your trip to Argyle -- and Claire Bear is chubbing up nicely! Can't believe there will soon be 2 Katie Adolphsons -- will one go by a nickname? Anyway, love reading your blog! Love, Mom

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)