Thursday, May 24, 2012

hurdles

Today marks the second hurdle that I have successfully catapulted my pregnant self over (...whoa, that is not a good visual). Today I am 26 weeks along, which at one point, I wasn't even sure I would get to. First hurdle was 24 weeks (viability), then I set up 5 more hurdles down my track...but I promised myself that I would only take them one hurdle at a time. Have you ever stared down the track at a long line of hurdles before a race? I have, and it's terrifying. So, I decided I would only look at one hurdle at a time to tone down the anxiety. So far, it's working....and it allows me not to look too far in advance which has been good for my mind as well.

The further along I get, the better chance the baby has of having less complications after birth (...dah, I am sure you already knew that). One of my doctors told me that "for every one day the baby stays inside, that's two less days he will have to stay in the NICU".  And every two weeks the baby is still on board, makes an enormous difference to how well he will do on his own. 

In less than 4 weeks (when I am 30 weeks), I will be staying in a "medical apartment" (aka "assisted living", aka "old folks home", aka "only 4 channels on the TVs", aka "no wireless Internet ANYWHERE in the building"!!) down in Minneapolis. My doctors want me closer to Abbott in case I would have an emergency, which at that point would be pretty likely. So, I will stay there for two weeks, then will be admitted into the hospital at 32 weeks, then hopefully deliver on July 19th (34 weeks).

I have NEVER in all my 13 years as a mother been away from my children for that long. When you factor in recovery time (for me, not the baby), I will probably be away from my house for 5 weeks. Now again, it's even hard for me to type that, let alone try to process that.  And again, I am going to have to set up little hurdles along the way, so I take it one week, or maybe even one day at a time.

The good news is that my kids can come and visit me, and while I am in the apartment, I hope they can stay the weekends with Carl and I. But it's still going to be very hard for me....probably way harder on me then them, which is a good thing! In other Good News, I have wonderful family and friends who will be supporting me every step of the way, which I am so very thankful for.

Are you depressed yet? I kind of am :) So I will leave you with something great to think about....the Best News of all. At the end of this "medical journey" I will have a beautiful son to hold and take care of. Another Adolphson child. Another little person to love and raise. After many others' medical journeys, they may be looking forward to fewer organs, or remission, but I get to look forward to a baby, and there is nothing better than that!


Photobucket

Claire's first day of life...nothing feels better than this type of cuddle.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)