Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Proud Mama

This past Saturday was the annual Medtronic Twin Cities Kids Marathon. This is the 5th year we have been partaking in the running festivities. I coach a running club at Pinewood, and these races are always our culminating event. Even though it was chilly and rainy, the kids showed up with big smiles ready to run! In the years past, Jocie has run the 1/2 mile race, then decided to upgrade to the 1 mile race, and this year took the big leap to the 5K race! I was super excited for her to do this because 1) she is a fun running partner 2) how awesome is it to run a 5K when you are 10 years old!! I was 26 when I ran my first 5K!! Although she was a little nervous about the run, she was up for the challenge.

Jocie was already a running club member, but she wanted to do a little extra training at home with me. So we started jogging about 2 weeks before school started. It was really good for us to have some "mom and Jocie" time again. Since Ella has been born and now Claire, that time has been a little more limited. So it was really fun to just hang out!

During the race, she told me a few times that she was really getting tired....but she kept pushing herself and finished the race without walking!!! Not only did she not walk, but she sprinted the last 50 yards! It was such a cool feeling crossing the finish line with her! I told her that when I was her age, I competed in a 1 mile race and had to walk during that race!! She felt much better after that story. After the race she told me that "she felt like she was on top of the world"! She did awesome and I'm so proud of her!

Joc and I after the 5K

All of the 5Kers


All of the 1/2 mile and 1 mile runners




1 comment:

Unknown said...

GOOD JOB JOCIE!!!....I am also very proud of you- a 5K is hard work!! Well done!

About Me

My photo
...proud mother of Jocelyn, Ella, Claire and Carter, wife of Carl, daughter of Mike and Nancy, sister of Ali, John, and Jessie, Physical Education teacher to over 500 students, and friend to....many :)